Communication Center Specialist
The Communication Specialist reports to the Communications Manager and works out of Life Link III’s administrative offices in Bloomington, MN. This role is the front line in providing safe and effective air medical transport. The Communication Specialist receives all incoming telephone, radio, and digital notification requests for service and information. Must be able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating effective communication skills in stressful situations; portrays a calm manner and work as part of a team to coordinate patient transport requests. Works closely with pilots, medical staff, aircraft mechanics, and administration to ensure transports are safely completed in a professional and efficient manner. Embodies and lives out Life Link III’s mission and values.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be computer literate and be able to learn the utilization of software programs including typing 35 wpm
- General geographic knowledge of 5 state area
- Aviation and medical terminology knowledge preferred
- EMT, Paramedic, air medical, 911 dispatch or hospital transfer center and/or hospital communications center preferred
- Licensure: EMT or EMD experience preferred
- Two-year degree in a related field preferred
- Receives and processes all incoming telephone calls for Life Link III
- Dispatches for eleven helicopters and one fixed-wing aircraft
- Creates and maintains electronic records and logs of activity as required using a computer-aided dispatch (CAD) system.
- Uses various computer systems to monitor calls, access information, and enter information as required.
- Performs work with a high level of accuracy, concentration, attention to detail, and multi-tasking.
- Requests, receives, and disseminates large amounts of private and confidential data linked to patients transported by Life Link III medical crews.
- Functions independently according to the established protocols and procedures. Confers with supervisor for unusual situations. Difficult decisions may include unusual circumstances where aeromedical transport mode may change according to location, weather, mechanical issues, or activation of the Post Accident Incident Plan.
- Provides a focused customer service approach to external stakeholders including all aspects of emergency service departments (fire, police, public service, EMS, bystanders, and other dispatch centers).
- Receives, transmits, and monitors multiple radio channels on an 800 MHz region-wide radio system.
- Maintains knowledge and skills for use of continually evolving equipment, including but not limited to computers, printers, recording devices, telephones, radios, and other equipment as assigned by supervisors.
- Begins and ends work on time. Work is subject to a variety of shifts and schedules covering 365 day-a-year, 24 hours-a-day operation, including overtime.
- Responsible for presenting a professional and courteous demeanor on the telephone and radio
- Assists with Post Accident Incident Plans and emergency plans as needed
- Participates in committees, public relations functions, staff meetings, performance improvement processes and education opportunities
- Monitors multiple sources of technology to ensure transport crew and patient safety with an eye for safety and risk management, personal responsibility, compliance, and discipline
- Maintains a working relationship with internal and external customers through the entirety of the patient transport process via consistency, reliability, honesty, and professionalism
- Maintains a high standard of performance with an unwavering commitment to quality and operational practices leading the industry in best practices
- Ethical and authentic in work practices and job tasks doing what is best for the patient and our customers through process efficiency, organizational efficiency, and accountability
- 12-hour shifts (6am-6pm, 6pm-6am)
- On-going training
- Opportunity to grow
- Professional Development Fund
- Competitive Healthcare Benefits
EMERGENCY DISPATCH 800.328.1377